Blog changes

Thanks to everyone who followed Training Because I Can! over the last nine years. This blog started with Addison's Disease, hypothyroidism and a crazy idea of doing an Ironman distance triathlon. My life has changed and so has this blog. I am using this blog strictly for Addison's Support topics from here on out. I hope to continue providing people with hints for living life well with adrenal insufficiency.

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Only in Idaho & update

Signs of spring in Idaho, the truck is being filled with seed potatoes.  Video is boring and short.  If you look closely, you can see the spuds shoot off the conveyor belt for 6 seconds.  I don't know where they take these spuds because the fields adjacent to the cellars are covered with snow.


Spring is rapidly and unexpectedly approaching.  On this date last year, it was 4 degrees and we had a five foot drift of snow outside our house.  Today, the bike path is melted out, it's 45 degrees and the snow drift is a mere 2+ feet deep and disappearing by the minute.

Below you'll find some fun Only in Idaho kind of stuff.

I recently and temporarily upped my HC for a couple of weeks and it's done wonders for me.  I am having fewer bad days and my body aches much less.  At the end of the day, I'm not generally dead tired.  Definitely a nice change from the last month of progressively worsening fatigue, lethargy, pain and exhaustion.  I'm feeling better just in time for a planned 48 hours out of the spring hell hole of Teton Valley.  Paul and I are headed down to Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake to camp, run a race and then go out to eat.  My training's been lackluster but I'm sure once I get out on to the trails in shorts and a short sleeve shirt, I will be feeling good and having fun.


The driveway at the ranch, full of Salty the horse poo.  He seems to think this driveway is his toilet.  




Travis' ice sculpture is melting.




The dead, bloated moose in the pond is looking mangy.  Pretty soon, he's going to stink.  




It's a wonder this snowmachine stays on the bed of the truck.  Look how far it hangs off.




Remember in the last post where I kept thinking the tiny lids were dimes.  Well, I was curious about how many lids there were so I picked them up.  The snow has melted so much in the last couple of days that it exposed all the bottles of booze that went with the tiny lids.  Someone definitely has a littering problem and a drinking problem to throw all of these bottles by the road!  I brought them home and will recycle them.




This is some Only in Idaho litter.  It's Teton Potato Vodka!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How many people "Only in Idaho" does it take to drink that much?

Unknown said...

Only one if it were me :)

Anonymous said...

So glad to see spring is comin' amight early up there! I think you're suppose to get some new snow today and tomorrow though. Have fun in Utah. When we were down there last week it was sooooo warm! Nice! Glad you are doing good my friend...
Shelley

Pip said...

All those vodka bottles!! It reminds me of the pile of empty bottles we found at the bottom of our (very steep) garden. We suspect the man who used to live here used to sneak down to the garden to hide away from his elderly mother and have a sly drink.

On the Hydrocortisone front - the three blood cortisol tests I had over the course of a day have shown that I am, as I suspected, a slow metaboliser. So I can get away with taking a large dose at the start of intense physical activity and not have to worry so much about staging doses during. That said, I still plan on taking 5mg about halfway through my marathon in May!

Oh, and the post on melatonin is very interesting. I will make sure I don't take any.

Unknown said...

Hey Shelley, I miss you. We haven't made it to IF yet. Our cupboards are nearly bare. We got over a foot down here in Victor and 13" at the ski hill. Had to shovel like hell to get out of the driveway!

I miss ya!!

:) Dusty