Blog changes

Thanks to everyone who followed Training Because I Can! over the last nine years. This blog started with Addison's Disease, hypothyroidism and a crazy idea of doing an Ironman distance triathlon. My life has changed and so has this blog. I am using this blog strictly for Addison's Support topics from here on out. I hope to continue providing people with hints for living life well with adrenal insufficiency.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Chronicle of an illness with Addison's: Trip to the ER

I forgot to post below that I thought that the headache was from some new supplements that I had recently started, the apathy from these long Idaho winters (Winter Storm Watch today, April 15) and the bladder thing was nagging, not painful.  I ignored every single warning sign that my body gave me!
Here's the ER experience from Sunday.  Awoke at 5 am feeling fine momentarily and took meds (15 mg HC).  Felt crusty from sweating and fever of previous day.  Took shower at about 5 am and almost vomited in drain.  Sat on floor of shower and tried to will clothes to come to me.  They didn't and I got up, dressed and went to couch.  Felt nauseous.  Drank ginger ale so I’d have something tasty to vomit and managed to get 8 oz of H20 down.  Took Zofran and 10 mg HC. Pain got worse and worse, crying, unable to get comfortable.  Puked and decided it was time to go to the hospital before my mom called an ambulance.  Needed a wheelchair to get out of car and into room.
Here's the important part.  The moment I saw the hospital personnel I said, "I've got Addison's disease and I just threw up.  I'm nauseous and in a lot of pain."  Then my husband pulled my National Adrenal Foundation card out of my wallet and I said, "Photocopy that paper and put it back in my wallet!"  Apparently when I'm in a lot of pain and nauseous, I'm nasty and very straight forward, more so than usual (scary).
I was given an IV:  2 bags of saline, 4 mg morphine, 100 mg HC, phenergan, Zofran, antibiotics.  Despite drinking a gallon of water on Saturday, I peed once at 5 am on Sunday and not again until 1 pm.  I get dehydrated VERY quickly.  All the drugs had me feeling much more comfortable very quickly.  Comfortable is a relative term!
My treatment at our local hospital, Teton Valley Health Care  was absolutely excellent.  They were very nice to me even though I was bitchy and demanding (Get me antibiotics without lactose!  No you can't use the veins in my elbows!  I want the other girl to take my blood, not you!  I don't want crackers, I don't eat gluten!  I want more painkillers!  I don't want one of those giant gowns!  I want a kid's gown!  I don't think you even know what Addison's disease is!).  I didn't have to wait even a minute to be seen, I was rolled right into the ER in a wheelchair by the EMTs and the nurse was in momentarily, the doctor moments after that.  Very impressive.  I was sent home with the drugs I was going to need immediately because the pharmacy is not open on Sunday.  We're very lucky to still have a hospital in Teton Valley despite the struggles it is currently facing.  Thank you Teton Valley Health Care!
I came home, ate a little bit, slept and then eventually went to bed.  The itching from the pain killers kept me awake but it was good to be in my bed and not in as much pain!  I did find it amazing that I could have around 115 mg of HC over the course of the day and still be able to sleep during the day and through most of the night.  Definitely a sign that my body was in need of it.
That's enough for now.

No comments: