Blog changes

Thanks to everyone who followed Training Because I Can! over the last nine years. This blog started with Addison's Disease, hypothyroidism and a crazy idea of doing an Ironman distance triathlon. My life has changed and so has this blog. I am using this blog strictly for Addison's Support topics from here on out. I hope to continue providing people with hints for living life well with adrenal insufficiency.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Teton Hikes


Sun rise on the Grand Teton
 I felt so good after the 43 miles at Swan Crest that I was able to do some great hikes last week.  Zane joined me on Aspen Trail on Monday.

On Friday, I went over to Grand Teton National Park with the intention of doing both the South and Middle Teton.  I summited the South but did not summit the Middle.  A storm came in and I got stuck about 250 feet from the summit in a little overhang.  At this point, I realized that as over prepared as I thought I was, I could have had another layer of clothing!  Although the hike was 17 miles round trip, the vertical elevation gain was 14,000 feet!!!  The descent was also 14,000 vertical feet.  The descent combined with a much heavier pack than I usually carry left me as sore as I was after completing the Bear 100 last fall.  Barkley 2011 training!!

Pictures!


Me and Zane on Aspen Trail.  I always take a picture here when I do Aspen Trail.


This hike was so much fun for Zane, he had to check his texts!
Sun rise in Grand Teton National Park, looking to the east

Middle Teton from Garnet Canyon

Looking down Garnet Canyon toward the trail head (5 miles and 4,000+ vertical feet down)
  
Me on top of the South with the Middle Teton in the background

What's a girl to do when she's stuck in a cave on top of a mountain with lightening striking all around?  Eat venison jerky of course!  Thanks Jason for the delicious jerky!

Training for Barkley every chance I get

I love my drymax socks, thanks Bob!  No blisters despite wet feet!  South Teton in the background.

Looking up a snow field that I just came down

The Tetons in a storm.  I got back to the car just as another storm rolled in.  

3 comments:

Lana said...

Your shots are incredible. Such gorgeous surroundings. Lana.

Olga said...

The kid and his "berry" cracked me up - looks familiar:) The views are stunning! Glad you survived the storm in the mountains. After Handies peak storm in 2008 and Porcupine ridge storm in 2009 (at HR100) I am not a fan at all. Not at all...

Pip said...

Wow - amazing photos as always. They make me want to get up in the mountains here in New Zealand - perhaps the ones I look out at every morning when I wake up!

My husband would be checking his iPhone all the time as well. Every chance he gets he's on the thing.