Here's some probiotics information that I lifted directly from my website.
Sorry for the rerun but I think this information is extremely valuable.
My personal opinion is that probiotics are vital to our health. I am not a doctor so you will need to do some research on your own and determine whether or not probiotics will help you. Below are some links to reputable journal abstracts so you can make up your mind on your own.
PREVENTING AND TREATING THE SIDE EFFECTS OF ANTIBIOTICS this article is written specifically for children but it's got some great information that could be applied to adults as well.
This is a minuscule sampling of the abstracts available! I collected this information in one hour!
If you feel probiotics will work for you and your doctor tells you they will not, I encourage you to do the following:
- Find the relevant journal article
- Print out 2 copies. Be sure to include citations so your doctor can see that this is a journal abstract he/she should read
- Highlight the relevant information on your copy and the doctor's copy. The relevant information are usually the title and conclusion
- Give the doctor his/her copy at your appointment
- Give the doctor a chance to skim the abstract
- Ask the doctor why the research is invalid if he/she disagrees with you
- Ask the doctor what the harm would be in trying probiotics
MEDLINE COLLECTION OF VARIOUS JOURNAL ABSTRACTS
BENEFICIAL EFFECTS OF PROBIOTICS ON NUMEROUS AND VARIED CONDITIONS
- MEDLINE Abstracts: Probiotic Therapy - This article is on Medscape. You might need to register. It's free, worth it and they don't send you any emails.
ANTIBIOTICS AS A POSSIBLE CAUSE OF YEAST OVERGROWTH
COLDS, IMMUNITY & PROBIOTICS
DIARRHEA & PROBIOTICS
- Probiotics: from myth to reality. Demonstration of functionality in animal models of disease and in human clinical trials. Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek. 1999 Jul-Nov;76(1-4):279-92.
GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT ANTIBIOTICS
- Merck Manual: Antibiotics Side effects/Allergies, Antibiotic Resistance
- Antibiotic Side Effects - This article is on Medscape. You might need to register. It's free, worth it and they don't send you any emails.
H. pylori & PROBIOTICS
IBS & PROBIOTICS
THRUSH & PROBIOTICS
UROGENITAL INFECTIONS & PROBIOTIC
VAGINAL INFECTIONS & PROBIOTICS
Probiotics for prevention of recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis: a review. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2006 Aug;58(2):266-72. Epub 2006 Jun 21. Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=16790461&ordinalpos=4&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum