Friday, January 25, 2008
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
- A clinical update on female androgen insufficiency--testosterone testing and treatment in women presenting with low sexual desire. Sex Health. 2006; 3(2):73-8 (ISSN: 1448-5028)
- Androgen Deficiency in Women with Hypopituitarism by Karen K. Miller, M.D. Article from Harvard Medical
- Testosterone Patch Increases Sexual Function in Women MEDSCAPE article
- Testosterone Improves Sexual Function in Women With Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder MEDSCAPE article
- Testosterone Patch Helpful for Women With Androgen Deficiency and Hypopituitarism MEDSCAPE article
- How Effective is Testosterone Replacement Therapy in Premenopausal Women with Severe Androgen Deficiency?
- The pathophysiological implications of circulating androgens on bone mineral density in a normal female population.
A woman's testosterone deficiency are often ignored or even discounted by doctors. Although women do not produce the quantities of testosterone that men do, it's a very important hormone for a women's quality of life. I will describe the symptoms of androgen deficiency in women, causes, testing and lab ranges, treatment and journal abstracts and relevant links (linked throughout the post).
- DECREASE IN MUSCLE MASS
- DECREASED BONE DENSITY (OSTEOPOROSIS OR OSTEOPENIA)
- LOSS OF
- DEPRESSED MOOD
- ACHY JOINTS
- CHANGES IN FEELINGS OF WELLBEING
- Nat Clin Pract Endocrinol Metab. 2006;2(8):432-433
- DIMINISHED SENSE OF WELL-BEING
- PERSISTENT, UNEXPLAINED FATIGUE
- DECREASED SEXUAL DESIRE, RECEPTIVITY, AND PLEASURE, IN A WOMAN WHO IS ESTROGEN REPLETE AND IN WHOM NO TOHER SIGNIFICANT CONTRIBUTING FACTORS CAN BE IDENTIFIED
Causes of testosterone deficiency in women
Come on ladies!!!!
Most of us have at least 2, if not 3, of the major risk factors for testosterone deficiency!
- adrenal insufficiency
- ovarian insufficiency (hysterectomy, oopherectomy, ovarian failure)
- glucocorticoid therapy
- Testosterone, Total
- Testosterone, Total, Serum
1-5 mo 1-177 1-10 6-11 mo 1-10 1-10 1-5 y 0-10 0-10 6-7 y 0-20 0-10 8-10 y 0-25 0-30 11-12 y 0-350 0-50 13-15 y 15-500 0-50 Adults 241-827 14-76
- Testosterone, % Free
- Testosterone, Free
First off, why be treated for low testosterone?
You deserve to feel well, QUALITY OF LIFE IS IMPORTANT
Osteoporosis is not fun or healthy. It is not acceptable for a doctor to NOT test your testosterone levels if you have osteoporosis. If your doctor refuses to test these hormones, find a new doctor.
- If you have Addison's disease and/or have had a hysterectomy, you don't need any more fatigue than you've already got
- If you're on corticosteroids, weight and wellbeing can be a constant challenge
- What are my treatment options?Methyl testosterone - testosterone that is created in the laboratory and put into a pill. Generally commercial doses (created by pharmaceuticals) are made for men and too high of a dose for women. Taking testosterone orally increases potential for liver problems. Microionized testosterone. Skin cream. Skin gel. Sublingual tablets. Vaginal suppositories.
- The formatting is all screwed up and I can't fix it, sorry.
- You will need to speak to an educated medical professional, your pharmacist and a compounding pharmacist to determine the best testosterone delivery for you.
Monday, January 21, 2008
I've got tons of pictures for you and a video.
The above slogan is my motto. I think more people should try to be less concerned about winning or finishing first and take the time to enjoy the experience. Have a great day!
Not a fantastic picture but it's big hawk of some sort. It flew away as I approached and it had a huge wingspan.
This is the road surface I have to run on. Narrow and covered with ice. Although the sides of the road look flat, they are not solid and supportive. Below the crust is a barrow ditch 3 feet deep.
The same road from a different view
People driving fast, talking on the phone on the same icy road as in the pictures above.
Saturday - Paul and I skate in Teton Canyon