Blog changes

Thanks to everyone who followed Training Because I Can! over the last nine years. This blog started with Addison's Disease, hypothyroidism and a crazy idea of doing an Ironman distance triathlon. My life has changed and so has this blog. I am using this blog strictly for Addison's Support topics from here on out. I hope to continue providing people with hints for living life well with adrenal insufficiency.

Friday, July 18, 2008

Busy July. Only 45 snow free days left.

Damn, once the weather warms up here there is so much to do and so many places to go. It's nearly impossible to keep up!

Instead of typing things, here are some pictures and brief captions.

Logging operations at the top of Lightening Ridge. Paul and I went out and ran part of the Grand Teton Races course on Sunday. It was Paul's longest run, 18.5 miles. He did great.

Me pretending to touch the electric fence on Mill Creek. This is a spoof on M's faux pas during the ultrarunning camp. Silly M, you don't touch an electric fence!

Coming up the Targhee road with the Tetons in the background.

Yep, we're rebels, we went right through this fence!

Me sweaty and resting after Sunday's run. It's the 7th time in 7 months that I have run from Targhee to Teton Canyon and back. Through the winter I was on the road. Luckily in the summer, I can hit the trails. I hate being on the road.

This is why I live here. Beautiful!

This is not why I live here. 7:30 in the morning in midJuly. 37 degrees is ridiculous! It got down to 31 degrees and ruined my string bean plants!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa Smith-Batchen (red shirt, black skirt) and her crew are amazing. Lisa ran from Las Vegas, Nevada, rested for 24 hours, ran the Badwater ultramarathon and then is summiting Mount Whitney. All in 5 days!!! She's amazing and has raised $300,000 for AIDS orphans in Africa. Does she look like she just ran 302 miles?!?!?! Lisa lives in Driggs.

The wild flowers are perfect right now. Indian paintbrush above.

I had to run/walk up this to get to the good stuff on Wednesday. Pole Canyon's power line road.

Me being a dork and trying to get a picture of myself jumping. It didn't work.

Only in Idaho would someone put the irrigation line over a dirt pile!

Allison has returned to town (thank goodness!) and we hiked up Table Mountain yesterday. Gorgeous girl with a gorgeous background.

Me and Allison acting goofy on the top of Table Mountain. The Grand Teton is to our left and the South is to our right.

Later yesterday evening, we went to my friend's house. Her dad's tractor is equipped to safely carry a baby (see the car seat?)! Good thing, he loves Pa and the tractor!!


Lora said...

City girls just don't expect an electric fence in the mountains!!

Oh..and you're such a cute dork!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dusty. Greetings from western Massachusetts! My name is Susan, and stumbled across your blog by Googling "addisons disease and exercise." I had my first crisis after surgery for appendicitis in Dec. 1998, at age 43. What a horrible experience! I was told that my neurosis was causing the vomiting. I wasn't diagnosed until May 1999, when I had my second crisis, after a long winter and spring of feeling like hell. The docs were considering sending me to the psych ward, until they saw my sodium and potassium levels. They finally took my illness seriously. It only took them a few (long) days to figure it out!
I have a wonderful endo - Jeffrey Korff - in Northampton, Massachusetts. I've been relatively well ever since I began treatment. I take 15 mg of hydrocortisone and .05 mg of fludrocort with my breakfast EVERY MORNING. I never miss breakfast, and I always take my pills. Because I take such low doses, I keep extra pills with me all the time, and take 5-10 mg (usually hydocortisone) on the rare occasion that I feel a little run down or stressed. I also have hypothyroid - used to be hyper - I had Graves Disease diagnosed in 1990. Another harrowing tale! I'm also doing a low dose HRT for menopause now. And I was diagnosed with celiac disease last year.
Once I got used to the fact that I would never feel quite "normal" again, I've been feeling pretty good most of the time. I work full-time at UMass, and live a pretty normal life. I eat well, and mostly get enough sleep.
When I was sickest, I was a skinny 117 pounds. I'm 5'7" with a largish frame. Since I've been taking steroid replacements I've struggled with my weight, which is now about 153. (Hooray for me - it was 158 a few weeks ago.) This leads me to how I found your wonderful blog. About 3 weeks ago, I started working out at local gym, and really watching my diet. I'd like to get down to about 135-140, and be more fit. All has been well, until this evening. It is about 90 degrees today - and very humid. There I was pumping away on the recumbent bike, when I suddenly felt very wrong. Weak, extremely sweaty all of the sudden . . . got . . .to . . . get . . . to the locker room. I got in there and felt more like a wet noodle than I ever have in my life. Long story short, I drank a gatorade (that's all they have at the gym) took a second dose of fludrocort in the car, got home, checked my BP and it was 100/60. Then it all came back to me about taking extra fludrocort when exercising in hot, humid weather. I've never been much of an athlete (some might say I'm athletically declined), so it's never been an issue before. Anyway, I wanted to read more about it, googled, and here I am at your blog.
So - you have inspired me to not let this episode stop me from getting fit. It may take some experimentation, but I'm confident that I can make this work.
Please also visit my blog, which so far has nothing to do with Addisons. Perhaps I'll add something about it now. I think that having this disease has taught me a lot. It's not ALL bad.
Thanks for all your doing for people with Addisons. I look forward to reading more of your blog.