Blog changes

Thanks to everyone who followed Training Because I Can! over the last nine years. This blog started with Addison's Disease, hypothyroidism and a crazy idea of doing an Ironman distance triathlon. My life has changed and so has this blog. I am using this blog strictly for Addison's Support topics from here on out. I hope to continue providing people with hints for living life well with adrenal insufficiency.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Addison's, exercise and cortisol & Pictures unrelated to the topic


I was skimming through "Practical Programming for Strength Training" by Rippetoe & Kilgore, page 98 and found this interesting (to people with Addison's!) passage:
Cortisol reponse is trainable.  After a bout of maximal exercise a novice may experience a much greater than 100% increase in blood cortisol levels, whereas a maximal exercise in an elite trainee may induce as little as a 20% increase.  
Although I'm not a doctor, I have felt that Addison's people who are new to exercise should increase hydrocortisone before the new activity.  See my post:  Training, Setting Goals, Getting Started under "GOALS-MEDS".  Now there's some confirmation that there might be a scientific basis behind it!




Ranchers, their dogs, sleigh and workhorses checking on the cows.  Only in Idaho.



Trumpeter Swans flying by.  They are HUGE!  Nearly 5 feet high with up to an 8 foot wing span.



Paul with a great view of the Tetons behind him.




A penny stuck in the ice.  I kicked it into a deep pile of snow trying to get it out.  However, yesterday I hit pay dirt.  I found $1.91 in change on the side of the road.  Luckily I was near my car because it was a lot of money to carry!!!
Post a Comment