Blog changes

Thanks to everyone who followed Training Because I Can! over the last nine years. This blog started with Addison's Disease, hypothyroidism and a crazy idea of doing an Ironman distance triathlon. My life has changed and so has this blog. I am using this blog strictly for Addison's Support topics from here on out. I hope to continue providing people with hints for living life well with adrenal insufficiency.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

What is normal when you've got Addison's?

What is normal when you've got Addison's?

Normal is what you make of it and how you define it.  In my case, normal is much healthier and active than I've ever been able to be in the past with restrictions that I did not have in the past*.  Normal for you might be quite different than it was before diagnosis but it's all in how you define it.

Define normal as something positive.  Find something you love, a passion and follow some aspect of it.
Survival is nothing more than an ordinary life well lived in extreme circumstances...It's simply saying, "I'm not lost, I'm right here."
Lawrence Gonzales Deep Survival, Who Lives, Who Dies and Why 

You may no longer be able to chase your kids all over the playground but you might be able to practice your photography skills, make scrapbooks, play Chutes and Ladders.  

At some point, I might not be able to run or ride but there are so many other things that I CAN do.  I can volunteer at a race, pack goodie bags, help with a race website, encourage people to try to do something they've never considered doing.  

Physical limitations can be worked around and worked through!  Redefine normal if you need to.  You'll be much happier for it.  Set goals and baby steps to reach your goals.

I guess what I'm saying is that your life might not be the normal that it was before but it can be better.  Addison's Disease doesn't have to be an impediment, use it as a stepping stone that motivates you to redefine normal.  You know what the beast is that you're dealing with so do the best with it that you can.

Lastly, don't let anyone tell you that you'll never have a normal life.  That's a bunch of crap.  You decide to have a normal life, by your definition of normal, and you will.


*My restrictions are:  I have to go to bed early nearly every night, I don't eat gluten, I don't eat dairy, I don't eat foods that people kindly make for me, I take pills all day every day, I refuse appointments after 5 or 6 pm.  I've stopped drinking alcohol.  I carry an arsenal of pills everywhere.  If it's after 3 in the afternoon, I'm a dud, brain fogged, boring and slightly lethargic.  I've learned to simply say, "No" when someone asks me for more than I am able to give.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

"If it's after 3 in the afternoon, I'm a dud, brain fogged, boring and slightly lethargic."

-- Seriously? That can't be right. I only feel that way when I'm ill or highly stressed.

Unknown said...

Hey Meg,

I guess I should have said, I often feel this way. I bike commute (30ish miles a week), run (40 - 60 miles a week), mountain bike some,d work and take care of my family. Generally I don't up my HC AND I'm an early riser so all those factors combined contribute to the brain fog, boring, lethargy. My days are long, my job physically demanding and my hobbies are physically demanding. I rarely sit still or hang out on the couch during the day.

So, yep, after 3 pm I'm not always at my best! My memory is sucky in the evening so I avoid making decisions or thinking too hard in the evening too.

Perhaps I should take more HC but it's such a fine line between too much and too little that I err on the too little side!

Pip said...

One of my favourite quotes goes something along the lines of "One day you may no longer be able to do this. Today is not that day". It's something that floats around in the back of my mind!

Dusty, it's funny you mention erring on the side of too little cortisol. I went out on Sunday afternoon for what turned out to be a two and a half hour trail run (it was meant to be 1.45) on Sunday. It was extremely cold and windy and the trails were very muddy and slippery. I haven't had a huge amount of trail running experience, so all up it was a pretty big effort for me, although it went well. If I'd known how long I was actually going to be out for I probably would have taken extra medication. Instead, I was half an hour late taking my evening dose of Hydrocortisone (simply forgetting). Before I got up to take it I was sitting there feeling distinctly shaky, then realised why. I slapped myself around a bit, told myself I was an idiot, took my meds and was feeling fine soon afterwards. That's probably only the second time (the first being post-marathon) that I've felt what might be a cortisol low.

Olga said...

Dusty, awesome post. Not only for Addison, but in general, defying the odds and re-naming "normal" is so very important. Loved the quote from Pip also. You rock, girl!

Unknown said...

Pip,

Loved the quote! Look for it at the bottom of my emails :) Read about your run, sounds like it was a lot of fun. Are you ready to come out to Idaho and run in October? :)

Thanks Olga!

Pip said...

I guess I should at this point probably link to the blog that I stole that quote from! My own personal motivation:

http://frayedlaces.blogspot.com/

As for running on Idaho in October .... I wish! Dusty, how about you join me in 2010 for this run?

http://www.nelsonevents.co.nz/AbelTasmanCoastalClassic.htm

Unknown said...

Pip, be careful about tempting me with a race like that! I looked at the photo page and the first picture was of bloody knees. That' right up my alley! I might just show up on your doorstep.

I quickly looked at the blog you referenced. That girl is adorable.

:) Dusty

Unknown said...

Ah, okay, that totally makes sense now. For me, I've never been a highly active person so I've landed myself in pretty relaxed working and hobby situations which suit me perfectly :)

I must admit, I loath that mind fog feeling, especially when i'm studying! It's near impossible to read and summarise textbooks when my mind has virtually shut down. Thankfully, I haven't experienced that in ages :)

Good luck with everything.

Pip: loved the quote :)