Blog changes

Thanks to everyone who followed Training Because I Can! over the last nine years. This blog started with Addison's Disease, hypothyroidism and a crazy idea of doing an Ironman distance triathlon. My life has changed and so has this blog. I am using this blog strictly for Addison's Support topics from here on out. I hope to continue providing people with hints for living life well with adrenal insufficiency.

Monday, September 7, 2009

Grand Teton Races race report

My award! Thanks to Lisa and Jay for creating this award for Tony and I.

This past weekend I completed both a 50 mile race (Saturday) and a trail marathon (Sunday). These were my last long runs before The Bear 100 on September 25th. Bring on the taper.

As usual, I've got a lot to say. In an effort to keep this from being too boring, I'll try to divide this race report up into parts so you can skip what you're not interested in reading. Here's how I'm going to split it up: Addison's and the races, the races, nutrition and me, what I need to fix, thanks, and pictures. Just finished typing all this up, it's really long. Sorry!

Addison's and the races

In the past, I've had issues with swelling and nausea. This time I had very little of either and I attribute it to consistent and persistent training, taking enough hydrocortisone regularly on race day, adding more florinef for the heat, and using a lot of salt consistently through out the race days.
In the days leading up to the races, I upped my usual 25 mg hydrocortisone and .05 mcg florinef as follows:
Wednesday - 30 mg HC and .05 mcg Florinef, double probiotics
Thursday - 35 mg HC and .1 mcg Florinef, double probiotics
Friday - 40 or 45 mg HC and .1 mcg Florinef, double probiotics
Saturday, 50 mile race day
  • I started each race day by taking 10 mg of HC, all of my DHEA at once (I usually divide it through the day), .15 mcg florinef and double my probiotics upon or before waking
  • Another 10 mg of HC and 600 mg salt in the form of SaltStick (no financial interest) with my breakfast
  • 5 mg HC and 1,200 mg of SaltStick every hour on the hour. I also threw in a few 10 mg HCs into the bags and took out some 5s. For extended efforts, I don't feel like 5 mg of HC/hour is quite enough and 10 mg/hour is overkill. I don't have the patience to split up my pills into 1/8 necessary to try 2.5 mg portions of HC.
  • I quit talking HC about 1 hour prior to the end of the race

    Sunday, marathon day, same protocol as above for Saturday
The Grand Teton Races
Grand Teton Races (GTR) is a local race. It's held at Grand Targhee Resort in Alta, Wyoming. The resort is about 25 miles from our house but it's a pretty slow 25 miles because about half of it has a 25 - 45 mile per hour speed limit. We decided to stay up at the resort for convenience. Paul did the marathon on Sunday and I did the 50 miler on Saturday and the marathon on Sunday.
Lisa Smith-Batchen and Jay Batchen put on the races and do an excellent job. They have an amazing crew of volunteers that returns year after year! The race is well organized, friendly and fun. Many of the participants return year after year to do this race because it's such a good one and because it's so beautiful.
I started out the race with a race plan which includes what to eat and when, fastest speed and slowest speed I might reach an aid station and when to switch from handheld water bottles to backpack and meds.
I started out the 50 mile race without a thought of running with anyone and ended up with Tony Portera, Gene and Adam. Both Tony and Adam were going to run the marathon the next day too. Gene is going to run the Bear 100 in a few weeks. Adam ended up not feeling too well and he DNFed, Gene found his pace and stuck with it. Tony and I stuck together for about 28 miles. From 28 to 50, I ran by myself. It was a great day with relatively moderate temperatures, great company, and wonderful volunteers. At no point did I doubt that I would finish. For the last 5 miles, I wore a Wonder Woman costume. It was fun to run wearing a cape.
My finishing time was 11:54:27. My previous best on the same course was 12:37:16. I improved my time by 46 minutes, nearly one minute per mile! Tony nearly caught up with me with a finishing time of 12:00:27. In the last 2 miles, Sharlyn from Bozeman came out of nowhere running like a wild woman to finish ahead of me, she won our age group with that fantastic finish and I came in second in the 40 - 49 women's age group and fifth woman overall.
The next day Tony and I, started out the marathon together trying to catch his wife who was doing her first marathon. I was sore, achy and tired. Tony and I never caught his wife who stayed ahead of us the entire time! Way to go Ginette! My husband was way ahead of us too. Tony put up with me for the entire 26.2. He was full of encouragement and advice. He's done 5 or 6 100's. Most recently he completed Badwater and Umstead 100. Tony and I finished the marathon, tired and happy, with a time of 7:12:55. We were nearly last BUT we were also the only ones who ran 50 miles the day before AND we picked up trash on the trail throughout the 7+ hours we were on the course.
Today, Monday, I am sore but feel good. I'm also hungry. I've got some foot care to do on my right foot today. I'm going to rest some, do some paperwork and straighten up the house. As usual, there's a busy week ahead that I have to prepare for...the Teton Middle School library is opening, the course needs to be cleaned, work has to be done!
Nutrition and me
I tend to have trouble with my stomach and nausea during long races. Quite by accident during my long summer runs, I think I may have found what works for me. Fat and protein. Carbs are pushed by the exercise community like crazy. Perhaps it's the Addison's that makes it difficult for me to process carbs and creates nausea? Anyhow, I tend to do much better stomach wise with race day fuel heavy on protein and fats and moderate with carbs. I've been staying away from sports gels and sticking to the occasional cup of soda during the race.
My secret weapon that keeps my stomach settled? Deviled Ham, yep, you heard it right, canned meat. No financial interest. I also used a Rice protein shake. Because I don't eat dairy or wheat, I stay away from aid station food. I eat the occasional Frito and piece of candy but stay away from the rest of the food.
I drank some watered down Gatorade (NFI) and about 2 gallons of water. Ice in my drinks was super good for my stomach too.
What I need to fix
  • I've got to find the right shoes for my feet. My left foot is fine, my right foot is a mass of blisters. Blisters are a sign that the shoes you are wearing are not the right ones for your feet.
  • I need to run faster, more often.
  • I need to run with other people, especially people who push me when I don't want to be pushed.
Many, many thanks!!
  • Thanks to the GTR staff (Lisa and Jay) and to their dedicated volunteers!
  • Thanks to my husband for making it possible for me to run as much and as slowly as I do and as often as I do.
  • Thanks to Tony for putting up with me for 55 miles out of 76.2 this weekend. Thanks for encouraging me at the end of the marathon when I was getting weak.
  • Thanks to Colleen Woods for getting me started down this crazy path, it's all your fault
  • Thanks to the wonderful people in the ultrarunning community for all of the smiles, cheers and advice!

The 6 am start of the 100 mile race. Even the best runners finish in 24 hours or more. The guy in grey and white in the front, middle finished in a crazy 19+ hours.

Jen and I. I ran with Jen a few times this summer. She's a lot of fun and she finished this 50 miler, her first! Yay Jen!!!!

The full moon setting right before the 50 mile race started.

Steve and Joe Tursi and I. This was Steve's 2nd 50 completion!

Sharlyn and Gene coming up Fred's Mountain the first time. Stunning Teton view in the background.

Tony coming up from the main aid station at 5:30 and 25 miles into the first lap of the 50 miler. Look at all the spectators! We were so fortunate to have such a great cheering section.

The main aid station as you would see it if you were finishing.

Me finishing the 50. Damn, I love blue lamme.

Do I look happy to finish and break the 12 hour mark???

Lisa Smith-Batchen and Heather Wilcox. I believe this was Heather's first 50 mile finish!

Hans-Dieter Weisshaer, an amazing 100 mile runner. Google him, you'll be impressed! He's in his 60s and runs more 100s in a year than many ultrarunners run in a lifetime.

Marathon Day. Mike Ehret is not messing around, he's patriotic and streamlined for the marathon.

Trevor Garner's mom (left, in black), Liz Onfer in red and black, Paul #715 starting the marathon. Tony and I decided to start at the back. Unlike most ultrarunners, the marathoners ran up the road toward Fred's. Tony and I started by walking off our soreness and moaning and groaning.

Mike and Liz running down Fred's Mountain. Liz ended up winning the marathon overall!

Tony and I at the top of Fred's during the marathon. Damn, we're serious racers, aren't we?

Lisa and Jay present Tony and I with the award at the top of this blog post. Official Finisher of the Grand Teton "Double" 50 miles and Trail Marathon"

Thrilled about getting the beautiful award, thrilled about getting any award!!

Paul winning 1st place age group award for the marathon!

Paul's award


PuddleThumper said...

Congratulations! That is really thrilling on so many levels. I love that you have worked so hard to figure out the right med and fueling solutions for you.

Awesome award!

Pip said...

Wow, wow, wow!
Gee you look tiny next to Steve in that photo, and the photo in the Wonder Woman suit makes me smile. You look fit and happy in all those photos. Congratulations! It sounds like you've got everything much more sorted now, and that the hard work you've put in will lead to a successful 100 miler.

TonyP said...

Dusty, you are simply amazing. I had the best time out there with you. I will have to make a list of "personal" questions for our nexr trail run to compete with yours. :))

Heather said...

Wow, Dusty! I'm in awe! You ROCK!

Unknown said...

Thanks guy and gals! I appreciate the complements from such accomplished athletes as yourselves!!

Pip, as I stood next to Steve, I looked up at him and said, "I feel tiny!" Come pace me at the Bear ( Pip :)!!

Pip said...

I'd love to pace you, but I fear the elevation might kill me!!!

Bob - said...

Awessssssssssssssome Dusty!! Congrats on your GTR Double!!

You did fantastic and love the 50 mile outfit... not sure what bet you lost though to spend a whole marathon with Tony -- lol

Recover well !!

Unknown said...

Bob, Tony and I talked about you several times during our time together. You're my inspiration. I've got the picture of your nasty toes, belt buckle and bloody shoes on my workout binder. Also, I needed the GoGirl accessory during the run.

:) Dusty

Lora said...

I am just so damn proud of you!!!! And so remembering my time out there with you last year. Great job to the real Wonder Woman!!

when the musics over said...

Congratulations, Dusty! Amazing feat (& feet). Good luck on the 100! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Lora and Michael!!