Blog changes

Thanks to everyone who followed Training Because I Can! over the last nine years. This blog started with Addison's Disease, hypothyroidism and a crazy idea of doing an Ironman distance triathlon. My life has changed and so has this blog. I am using this blog strictly for Addison's Support topics from here on out. I hope to continue providing people with hints for living life well with adrenal insufficiency.

Friday, January 1, 2010

On going chronicle of injury



A whole new world, parking in a reserved spot as close to the front door as possible




Loaded with Ibuprofen, unknowingly broken and working a couple of weeks ago



So, yesterday's post was truncated by AT&T. It's probably best that I didn't post my hysteria for the world to read.

Here's what happened. I had a one hour drive to Jackson, Wyoming's St. John's hospital. During this ride, I discovered that driving that long of a distance with a femoral neck fracture is uncomfortable. I got to the hospital at 8 am as scheduled. Talked to the radiologist tech and radiologist. They decided the nuclear bone scan (relief!!) was unnecessary after some back and forth among several people, most importantly the radiologist at the hospital and my orthopedic doc (who has not seen me yet but knows what's going on). Very importantly as well, the orthopedic doc called me and explained everything. My MRI was accessed by the radiologist in Jackson and it was confirmed, I have a classic compression stress fracture of the neck of the femur. He immediately told me NOT TO PUT WEIGHT ON MY LEG, AT ALL, FOR ANY REASON.

Mentally, after receiving the confirmation of the diagnosis, I went into a little bit of a tail spin. Pretty much everything I do involves moving around and doing, work, hobbies, . What's a girl to do when she gets bummed? Go shopping! Bought a nice light backpack to haul things around, spray paint for my ugly crutches and some beauty supplies (if I don't feel too well, I might as well try to look a little better).




Crutches before on left after on right!! Yahoo!



I'm exhausted. My eyes look like someone has punched me. It's hard to rest so much. It's hard to do not much. It's super hard to wobble around on crutches, especially on ice. My upper body is sore! Luckily this crutch thing makes it hard for me to go to the kitchen and eat, it's a lot of trouble and effort for some food. It will definitely keep me from eating too much and getting fat.

Tomorrow is my appointment with Dr. Brown the ortho. I am waiting until I talk to him before I make any plans or set any goals. I read that even water running with a flotation device is prohibited because the muscles pull on the fracture. I would guess that spinning on a bike with no tension is out too. We'll see! I have no idea what I can expect out of the next month.

On the good side, not walking on my right leg for 3 days has decreased the pain from about a 7 to a .5 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Thanks for all of the well wishes and kind words. I really appreciate it, eventually, I will respond to emails and FB comments. I've got a lot of time to kill.

Happy 2010!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! Glad to know what is going on with you, though! I'm sorry! It stinks that you are "broken" especially when you are SO physical! I wish you a speedy recovery!!! (And Thank You for the Christmas Card! I realized I sent the one from us to your old address, did you still get it?)
Love, tara

Pip said...

Pink crutches. You're a girl after my own heart Dusty!

Heather said...

Dusty, I just read your last 2.1 blog entries (thanks for that fraction, AT&T!) - Wow! That totally sucks. Please take even better care of yourself than you usually do, listen thoughtfully to your docs, and heal quickly.

Love the pink crutches, Princess. I hope you don't have to use them very long.

Linda said...

I love the pink crutches and the image of Paul serving you cocktails on the couch! I have a question: do you think that your HC will have to be modified with less exercise? I am never quite sure. I don't take a lot of days off, but I have considered what my needs might be if I wasn't exercising to the extreme degree. :)

Jean said...

Wow, Dusty! I am so sorry to read this whole story. And to read that the cause of the fracture isn't clear makes me wonder about Annie. About 6 months ago we had an xray done because we suspected a break, and the radiologist's comment was, "What's wrong with this kid's bones?"!!! So, I'll be anxious to hear what you learn about how Addison's or hydro replacement affects bone density or strength. Meanwhile, I'll be praying for a quick recovery, and patience while you're off your feet.

Take care,

Jean

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comments girls! Heather, you touched my heart by calling me Princess. I smiled over that one for days!!!

Trying to cut back on cocktails and get to refurbishing my crutches since I've still got to use them for a couple/few more weeks.

XO

Dusty