Blog changes

Thanks to everyone who followed Training Because I Can! over the last nine years. This blog started with Addison's Disease, hypothyroidism and a crazy idea of doing an Ironman distance triathlon. My life has changed and so has this blog. I am using this blog strictly for Addison's Support topics from here on out. I hope to continue providing people with hints for living life well with adrenal insufficiency.

Monday, February 22, 2010

And tomorrow I run...


This picture is a perfect example of the quote below. Although many, many people have put this many miles on their treadmill, I am excited enough about it to take a picture. I've been planning this for since December when it started getting close! My husband helped me get it to 1,000 miles but I've done plenty of 20 milers to do my part.


"Enthusiasm spells the difference

between mediocrity
and accomplishment."

- Norman Vincent Peale

I'm back up and moving. I have been for about two weeks. It's taken me nearly this long to figure out what I can do and what I want to do with myself. My hip barely hurts at all any more! About 10 days ago, I started a workout program that also includes stretching. At first some of the stretches were uncomfortable, immediately after stretching the pain and range of motion in my hip joint was incredibly better! On February 13th, I started my one mile and three pull-ups a day streak again! Yahoo!! I am hoping to be in shape, OK, that's not true, I'm not "hoping". I expect to be in shape enough to run Big Horn 100 in June through a carefully planned running schedule and lots of cross training. I will be qualifying for Hardrock 100's lottery this year. If I don't complete Big Horn, I can finish Grand Teton or the Bear. And tomorrow, I begin running! It will only be for a minute or two at a time but I will begin!

Enough about me. For the next while, I will be trying to do more Addison's related posts. If you've got Addison's and you're not part of my forum, you may want to check it out. www.addisonssupport.com There's lots of knowledge, experience and support for those with Addison's, hypothyroid or undiagnosed. CHECK IT OUT!

13 comments:

Green Key said...

Excellent! I'm really glad your recovery has gone so well.

Leigh Bender said...

YEAH, Dusty!!! Way to go! Rock it, girl.

Heather said...

Congrats, Dusty! Your determined spirit inspires me!

Linda said...

Enjoy the run, girl!

Unknown said...

Thanks girls!

Linda, I just finished my 10 minutes split up in 2 minute chunks. No pain!!!

XO

Dusty

rpd said...

Wonderful news Dusty. Good luck!

Lora said...

So happy for you!!!

Pip said...

Yay! Dusty, this makes me so happy!

Unknown said...

Thanks rpd, Lora and Pip! It went well and was mostly walking with 2 minute bursts of running. Not sore today!

Pip, you should consider power walking.

:) Dusty

Anonymous said...

Wow I am so glad to have found this site. I was an avid athelete before I got sick. I tried out for a woman's football team and I was hit with my first adrenal crisis. I went through a barrage of them for 6 months before I was finally diagnosed after dropping to 120lbs. This is encouraging, because I have to admit I am afraid to do any type of physical activity and exacerbate my situation. I'm getting ready to make a come back - and I'm glad to see you have been able to cope with it Dusty!

-Martina

Unknown said...

Martina,

If I can do 100 miles, you can get back to being athletic!!!

Come on over to the Addison's Support Forum at www.addisonssupport.com and tell us about yourself and ask questions! There are lots of athletic Addisonian's.

Also, click on Addison's Essentials under Labels on the blog and you'll find lots of good info there too.

:) Dusty

PuddleThumper said...

great news! you'll be right back up to speed by the time all the snow melts. :-)

Unknown said...

Thanks PT! I've linked your blog to mine. I miss you and the T3s!!!

:) Dusty