Blog changes

Thanks to everyone who followed Training Because I Can! over the last nine years. This blog started with Addison's Disease, hypothyroidism and a crazy idea of doing an Ironman distance triathlon. My life has changed and so has this blog. I am using this blog strictly for Addison's Support topics from here on out. I hope to continue providing people with hints for living life well with adrenal insufficiency.

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Inconvenient bump in the road, I mean pothole.

See that little pothole above this caption?  It was covered by a puddle.  I jumped the puddle and put my right foot right into the pothole, rolling my ankle in very hard.  In a split second, I managed to bruise both my knees and an elbow, twist my ankle, get wet from the waist down (puddle, not pee), and induce severe mental stress.

Wednesday evening, I thought I was being so graceful, leaping the puddle.  It was not to be.  I looked like an idiot.  I was on my hands and knees next to the highway screaming profanities.  Yes, I twisted my ankle, hard.  I was nauseous and dizzy when I stood up after the fall.  I was so out of it, I didn't even realize I had hydrocortisone with me.

Kitty gave me a ride home and helped me into my house.  When I got into the house, I took 20 mg of HC.  Freaking out, I had my husband drive me to the hospital for an X-Ray.  I needed to know if my Morocco trip on March 29 was to be or not to be!  The ankle hurt very badly and my brain hurt worse.  I think the mental pain was worse than the physical.
The bruising about an hour after the twist

While in the hospital, I got no pain killers and the service was slow (it was busy).  I got no painkillers but didn't really need them after about 3 hours.  I texted Ashley who did my thinking for me, I needed to know if I needed more HC.  She told me to take 50 mg.  I took another 20 mg immediately getting my post injury intake up to 40 mg.  I felt comfortable with that.  Luckily the PA on duty, Lis, at our small hospital is really athletic and knows about MdS.  She was very sympathetic about my mental pain.  She said all the right things to me, that it wasn't broken and it would be well enough to run on by the April 3 start of the race.  She got me in with Dr. Brown at 11 am the next morning.

Thursday morning before my appointment with Dr. Brown I contacted Dan at Streubel Physical Therapy.  He got back to me immediately and Sharon got me in to see Marijke right after my appointment with Dr. Brown.  Sometimes living in a small town is so satisfying!!!!!!  I got great care from start to finish with this whole debacle.  All of them were so compassionate, including Sharon the receptionist/massage therapist at Dan's office.  They all are athletic enough to know what a big deal MdS is to me.  I doubled my steroids all day on Thursday.


Marijke's expert taping job to help with the swelling.

I used these tissues on Thursday.  Thursday was a tough day.

Friday I took an extra 10 of HC.  Today, Saturday, I might take 5 mg later.  I can feel the fatigue setting in.

Any how, the verdict overall is that I will be fine.  I have enough time to heal.  It doesn't hurt so much as ache and feel swollen (as it is).  I'm RICEing it.  Dr. Brown told me that I could walk my mile on it so my streak is not over!!!

I am feeling quite a bit of fatigue.  Very disproportionate to the severity of the injury.  I think I'm going to start an aggressive core and upper body workout program.  I might be able to ride a recumbent bike if my ass can handle it, the ass falls asleep on the recumbent.  I think exercise does more for me than keep me in shape, I think it fights some fatigue!  The ankle is bruised on both sides today and gross looking.  The pain is not bad but I don't feel like running on it or even walking much.  I'm going to take this time to get bills paid, schedule the next two weeks and take care of business so I can run in three weeks!

If you're wondering why I went into so much detail here about meds, how I feel and what I've been doing the last three days, it's more for my records than yours.  This is the only consistent diary I've got and I'm taking advantage of it. :)

Post a Comment