Blog changes

Thanks to everyone who followed Training Because I Can! over the last nine years. This blog started with Addison's Disease, hypothyroidism and a crazy idea of doing an Ironman distance triathlon. My life has changed and so has this blog. I am using this blog strictly for Addison's Support topics from here on out. I hope to continue providing people with hints for living life well with adrenal insufficiency.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Barkley Marathons, here I come

As is my luck, when I was at Frozen Head last month, it was snowing
                                    
I'm headed out to Frozen Head this afternoon.  I won't get there until Thursday because I'll be visiting friends over the next couple of days.  I'm packed, car loaded and laz will be happy to know that I've been missing out on quite a bit of sleep over the last few nights.

I will be privileged to be camping at Frozen Head with Rich Limacher and three other AMAZING ultrarunners (I so don't belong at the Barkley) two of whom are running and one who is crewing.  Rich has been at the Barkley for many years but probably won't get in this year, he's pretty far down the wait list.

These pictures are out of order and from a month ago.  They will give you an idea of Frozen Head Park where the Barkley takes place.  One of the last pictures is of some graphic death.

If you want to support a movie about the Barkley, please go here.  Even if you don't, please watch the movie!

If you want to follow the race, Henry Speir is going to tweet it.

I got the Blogger mobile app.  I may be doing too many blog posts in the next few days.  I may not.:)

Wish me luck!!!!

Sun was setting and I was outside the park, beautiful!

On the North Boundary Trail

Vines EVERYWHERE.  They are strong too.

North Boundary

This is where the race will begin and end.  This is where taps will be played as I quit.  Luckily I'm a woman and I'm soft so I'm expected to quit.

Phillips Creek

Check point books are hidden in places like this

With KT, heading up Testicle Spectacle 

Old mine near Rat Jaw

Looking down Rat Jaw from the fire tower.  Most likely, I will be coming up and then going down this same thing.  There are saw briers everywhere.

LM and KT look down Fykes.

Old Guard tower somewhere near Brushy Mountain Prison

This isn't part of the race course.  Tub Springs.

Espresso and a bagel with Deviled Ham.  Yummy camping food


A violet

Dead hog.  Hogs are a problem in Frozen Head.  I don't know why this one was on the trail.  It surprised me a little.

It's an old Schlitz beer can lid.  It says "Don't Litter"

9 comments:

Bogie D said...

good luck ... take the phone with you ... update this blog during the race :-) :-) :-)

Bogie D said...

good luck ... take the phone with you ... update this blog during the race :-) :-) :-)

Bogie D said...

good luck ... take the phone with you ... update this blog during the race :-) :-) :-)

Bogie D said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bogie D said...

good luck ... take the phone with you ... update this blog during the race :-) :-) :-) ...

By the way ... now it is the 15th time literally when i try to post this and i am failing the caption/secret words

Anonymous said...

good luck! and *please* tell me that you plan to wear tick repellant at all times!!

Unknown said...

Bogie, thanks! Phone and/or GPS and/altimeter=DQ. Check out HenrySpeir on Twitter.

Ashley, thanks an great point!!

XO

Dusty

Pip said...

Oh goodness, good luck! You've reminded me again (rather guiltily) that I need to plan a US trip. I'm also musing on Addison's and injuries (and general muscle tightness), and on dosing by instinct. But enough of that, I want updates! Have a blast out there.

Gina from Ashevilletown said...

Good luck, have a great time (when you can) - just enjoy being there and doing that.

As usual - we are all rooting for you. Go get 'em!!!

Gina

PS - You really made my week by stopping by for a coffee break yesterday. So glad to meet you, D.