Blog changes

Thanks to everyone who followed Training Because I Can! over the last nine years. This blog started with Addison's Disease, hypothyroidism and a crazy idea of doing an Ironman distance triathlon. My life has changed and so has this blog. I am using this blog strictly for Addison's Support topics from here on out. I hope to continue providing people with hints for living life well with adrenal insufficiency.

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Meds and shit Lake to Ocean 100k

This post will probably be of interest to only a few people and to me at some distant time in the future.  I'm just chronicling my Addison's meds and what I could have done different and better or keep the same.  My race report is in the post below this one.

Lake to Ocean 100k was a training run for Vol State.  It didn't follow the "train specifically" principal BUT it was a long run that I did finish.  It did last a long time, 18 hours 29 minutes.  Vol State is 314 miles on Tennessee roads in the heat of July that has to be finished at your pace in under ten days.  So: heat, check!  thirst, check!  an unrelentingly long day, check!  Road, ok, not so much.  med adjustments, check!


  • Woke up at 4:45 am and took the regular stuff (10 mg HC, .05 florinef, DLPA, 6.25 T3, probiotics, testo, progesterone).
  • 6:15 am 10 mg HC
  • Every hour on the hour 10 mg HC
  • When I felt tired or lagging or too nauseous, another 5 - 10 HC.  I guestimate that my total HC intake for the day was about 200 mg.  Mind boggling to me but felt right.  I had no trouble sleeping.
  • 200 mg sodium every hour until I started getting nauseous and cramping then two and hour and one every half hour.
  • I drank about four gallons of liquids and peed three times.  I cramped spectacularly.  I sweated so much, it was unbelievable and disgusting.  Short story.  I met a really nice police man as I was going under a gate of awkward size.  Hanging under the gate with the policeman watching, my hamstrings and calves cramped up so much that I couldn't stand up.  I didn't want to drop into the dirt and mingle dirt with sweat.  I just hung there under the fence waiting for the cramps to subside.  They didn't subside quickly enough, I had to drop into the dirt.  It was a sign that I needed some salt!!


  • I think I needed more florinef in a second dose on race days.  I felt unable to hold on to sodium or water.  I may be needing a little bit more overall on a daily basis.
  • I think I needed more sodium for the above reasons.
  • Only eating one Oreo all day.


  • I don't think my nausea was any worse than anyone else's.  It was never debilitating and was not super comfortable.  
  • I kept drinking water.
  • My energy was pretty appropriate the entire time.


  • Napped twice on Sunday and still slept
  • I was achingly sore on Sunday, slightly more than I usually am.  I also tried harder than I usually do so perhaps this was appropriate.  Perhaps I was sorer than usual because of all the cramping?
  • Still cleaned cages on Monday!!
  • My Tuesday streaking mile was...painful and whine inducing
  • I pulled something in my right leg, hamstring, muscle across the back of the knee joint and, most worryingly, my right calf
  • I might have curtailed my HC consumption too soon
  • Got a migraine on Wednesday
  • Friday and Saturday no longer sore (except right leg) but having big trouble with edema in legs, feet, arms and hands.  Oh yea, my lungs have felt a little smaller for about three days as well.  I took some extra Florinef and some sodium, viola!  Peed off over a pound of fluid.  BINGO.  I hope this keeps getting rid of the fluid because I've gained 10 pounds in six days.  NOT COOL.


Anonymous said...

Do you think it was too much HC and not enough florinef?

Unknown said...

I think my HC was spot on for the race, sodium and florinef too little during and after the race. Too little HC in days following the race.