Blog changes

Thanks to everyone who followed Training Because I Can! over the last nine years. This blog started with Addison's Disease, hypothyroidism and a crazy idea of doing an Ironman distance triathlon. My life has changed and so has this blog. I am using this blog strictly for Addison's Support topics from here on out. I hope to continue providing people with hints for living life well with adrenal insufficiency.

Saturday, September 20, 2014

I can pull my underwear up with two hands

Yeah, pulling your underwear up with two hands might not sound like a big deal.  It is.  After six weeks of pulling my underwear up with one hand, it's a thrill to easily slide them up and on.  I can nearly reach my left arm pit with my right hand (without propping the right hand up on something).  Progress is happening.  Slowly.  Very, very slowly.

This shoulder surgery has been the hardest thing I've ever done.  It may even be harder than being undiagnosed with adrenal insufficiency.  I have become virtually useless, short tempered, my mind doesn't work, each and everything I do takes twice as long, my driving is dangerous (stick shift and a useless right arm), constantly exhausted and on the verge of tears at all times.  I have been humbled.  I am so dependent upon others (STILL) that it's not even funny.  I nearly burst into tears if I'm in the grocery store and someone helps me empty my cart on to the belt.  Every night, I'm thankful to fall asleep and not have to need anything or wish I had help doing things.

Sleep is another matter.  Since I hurt myself on June 20th, I've rarely slept well.  Each and every time I turn or move, the shoulder lets me know and wakes me up.  I haven't slept on my right side in three months.  For the last six weeks, I have only been able to "sleep" on my back.  Ugh!  

Each day, I wake up hopeful that it will be better than the last.  I hope that I will accomplish something.  I wish, each and every day, that I had someone to put my hair in a pony tail so I look like less of a wreck. I am hoping that the circles under my eyes are not permanent.  Each day is getting incrementally better for the most part.  The pain has lessened.  I am allowed to be out of the sling.  I can use my hand and forearm more.  The right arm, even if it's out of the sling, does not work well.  It hangs limply by my side or is tightly held against my chest.  I can only walk about a half mile with it out of the sling before it gets very uncomfortable.  Sigh.  

Physical therapy starts Monday.  I will fall into another ring of Hell.  I have been told by several people, including an ortho friend,  that shoulder physical therapy is very painful.  I like opiates and all but, damn, I'm tired of them.

I wonder, if I had known how awful this time post surgery would be, would I have had the surgery?  Would I have opted for being slightly disabled?  Time will tell.  I hope that this arm works once I've regained strength and range of motion.  I really hope that all this mental and physical pain was worth it.  

Perhaps I need to show more gratitude?

I have been getting out and walking on the beautiful beach.


I've been spending time with my sweet bird, Keiko.



The view out the back of the house is amazing. I have really been enjoying it.

Sandhill Crane

Amazing view out the back windows

I'm also thankful for my husband for putting up with me.  Thanks to Jim S., Yogi and Molly for texting/Facebooking me every day with great stories of the things they are doing as well as support and encouragement when I need it most.  Thanks to Milissa, Donna, Allison and my mom for the late birthday presents.  I love getting something in the mailbox when I least expect it.  Thank you, Bonnie, for the cards.  Thank you, Heather, for the funnies that appear in my inbox with regularity.  Thanks to everyone who is sending good thoughts my way.


3 comments:

Animal said...

Dusty, I well remember the frustration I felt as the surgery recovered felt so painful and so painfully slow, a seemingly glacial pace of healing!

You describe the recovery process very well, so much pain and frustration! I actually gave up my therapy after one session, but still suffer stiffness and soreness at times 8 years after.

You have quite good range of motion after six weeks. I do know that that is hard to believe! I was told six month before I got my arm above my head and that's about right.

These surgeries are miserable; the recovery is lengthy in time.

It does get better!

HollyM said...

I actually have to pull mine up with one hand as I need to hold onto something with the other. I have osteoartritis of the hip. It is frustrating to be disabled. I've had to let go of things that I did and goals for the future.
You'll be glad eventually when things are better.
My son thinks I should get a bird for company. I'm allergic to many animals. I'm hesitant to purchase a caged bird. What are your thoughts on this?

Unknown said...

Jim, thanks for sticking with me and counseling me through this tough time. I appreciate your friendship and the time you've spent online with me!

Holly, I cannot imagine being permanently disabled, I am sorry. Temporarily disabled has been exhausting, depressing and frustrating.

NEVER buy a bird. RESCUE one. Birds are a lot of work, demand a lot of attention and you need to do a lot of research to find the right bird for you. Lastly, you need to go and visit for hours and hours with birds that are possible options for you to see if their personalities match yours. Birds are VERY messy too. If you're up for all of that, go for it!!! If any of that sounds awful to you, DON'T go for it.

Dusty