Blog changes

Thanks to everyone who followed Training Because I Can! over the last nine years. This blog started with Addison's Disease, hypothyroidism and a crazy idea of doing an Ironman distance triathlon. My life has changed and so has this blog. I am using this blog strictly for Addison's Support topics from here on out. I hope to continue providing people with hints for living life well with adrenal insufficiency.

Monday, May 25, 2009

Be a survivor

For the second time, I'm reading Deep Survival, Who Lives, Who Dies and Why by Laurence Gonzales.  As I read the paragraph below on pages 86 - 87 of the paperback edition, I felt somehow justified about my bad Emergency Room behavior.

Psychologists who study survival say that people who are rule followers don't do as well as those who are of independent mind and spirit.  When a patient is told that he has six months to live, he has two choices:  to accept the news and die, or to rebel and live.  People who survive cancer in the face of such a diagnosis are notorious.  The medical staff observes that they are "bad patients," unruly, troublesome.  They don't follow directions.  They question everything.  They're annoying.  They're survivors.  The Tao Te Ching says:  

The rigid person is a disciple of death;

The soft, supple, and delicate are lovers of life.


Please strive to be an annoying, unruly and troublesome patient.  Question everything.  
Be a survivor.
Post a Comment