Blog changes

Thanks to everyone who followed Training Because I Can! over the last nine years. This blog started with Addison's Disease, hypothyroidism and a crazy idea of doing an Ironman distance triathlon. My life has changed and so has this blog. I am using this blog strictly for Addison's Support topics from here on out. I hope to continue providing people with hints for living life well with adrenal insufficiency.

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Pocatello 50 miler






A big thank you to everyone who thought good thoughts for me yesterday!  I appreciate it!

Good news, I finished the Pocatello 50 without crying.  I accomplished two goals that I set out to accomplish.  The Pocatello 50 mile race course was actually 51.8 miles and 13,700 feet of vertical elevation gain and I got a few extra tenths at about mile 39 because we thought we were lost and back tracked.  The race was run very, very well.  The course was very hard and beautiful.

As far as Addison's goes, I gave the race director my usual letter about Addison's and my emergency injection kit.  Well the race director did an awesome job making me comfortable being on this rural, difficult course.  All of the aid station people knew about me and when I checked in, one of the aid station people would come over, put a hand on my shoulder, look me in the eye and ask me how I was doing.  At the end of the race, both race directors came up to me and shook my hand.  It was so nice to know that anyone who was working on the race would know to give me a shot if I got hurt or became unresponsive for any reason.

Meds:  
  • 25 mg/day usual
  • 30 mg/day on Wednesday
  • 35 mg/ day on Thursday and Friday
  • Race day
  • 10 mg on waking
  • 10 mg before the race
  • 5 -10 mg/hour during the race for 14 hours


Mike E, me and Paul moments before the start



Beautiful trail and sunrise



Incredibly steep and there was NO trail.  It took about 45 minutes to go one mile



Damn, I'm so graceful.  Watch this, it's funny



Thinking we're off trail at about mile 39, we're all in great spirits!  Me, Jeff, Olga and Larry



51.8 MILES FINISHED!

10 comments:

Pip said...

Yay - it sounds like you had a great time! What an insane course though ...

I mentioned you yesterday at my NZ Addisons Disease Network meeting. Hopefully some of my fellow Addisonians will look you up! One of them is an avid mountain biker. He sometimes goes on eight hour rides. My six hour rides on the road seem meek!

deraj said...

Hi Justine,

Great job out there on the Pocatell 50! Ryan and I were indeed very concerned, but we had some awesome medical support volunteers who we spoke with regularly to make sure you were okay. Being in the race director's chair I felt like a parent worried about all his children out on the course. What an overwhelming sense of happiness when they returned safely. When I heard that #45 was coming down to the finish line it made me so happy. Plus, your finish maneuver was a perfect 10!

Keep inspiring,

Jared Campbell

Anonymous said...

When I first saw the new post I was a bit worried that the first picture was one of the runners that hadn't quite finished ;>)
Anyway...Way to go Dusty!! Yahooo you finished, and with such a flourish! Loved the grace video! You could come take some dance classes with me and I could help you with that...hee hee
Big HUGS!
Shelley

Linda Ambard said...

My old ISU cross country routes (though I never ran 50 plus miles at one tie!). I know those hills well. You did awesome, my friend!

Debbie said...

Congratulations!!!! You inspire me. Today I am determined to be well. Thanks, Dusty.

Unknown said...

Pip, Shelley, Linda, Debbie, Jared, thanks so much for the comments and support!

Shelley, I'd love some ballet lessons! :)

Pip,thanks for mentioning my blog. It would be great to be in contact with more Addisonian's who are or want to be active.

Jared, thanks so much for everything! You guys and all of your volunteers were awesome! The race was great and very hard but it was also a great intro to 50 miles of Pokey trails.

Linda, have you ever told me how beautiful those trails were? Probably but I couldn't actually believe it from my passing view on the highway! Amazing. Thanks!

Debbie, thank you so much! You can and will be well. One step at a time. :)

when the musics over said...

Dusty, I'm glad you can laugh about falling on your ass! I'm laughing with you. Congrats, 14 hours of hellatious trails and elevation. My goodness, you are a tough nut! Glad you met your goals!

Olga said...

Dusty, was so great to share time and miles with you, and the cartweel was absolutely awesome!!!

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Dustyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy LOVED the finish line cartwheel...great pics

...CONGRATS!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks Bob, I miss your posts on YOUR blog!!! Come on Jersey boy, give us an update!