Blog changes

Thanks to everyone who followed Training Because I Can! over the last nine years. This blog started with Addison's Disease, hypothyroidism and a crazy idea of doing an Ironman distance triathlon. My life has changed and so has this blog. I am using this blog strictly for Addison's Support topics from here on out. I hope to continue providing people with hints for living life well with adrenal insufficiency.

Monday, September 28, 2009

Bear 100 COMPLETE!

Lantern Rouge from Wikipedia:

"In the Tour de France the rider who finishes last, rather than dropping out along the way, is accorded a distinction. Riders may compete to come last rather than just near the back. Often the rider who comes last is remembered, while those a few places ahead are forgotten..."

That's right! I finished The Bear 100 in 35 hours, 45 minutes and 11 seconds in 95th place, the cut off time was 36 hours! About 140 people started, about 40ish dropped out and 5 finished after the cutoff (BUMMER!). It is one of the harder things I've ever done but definitely not as hard as childbirth. 100 Miles • 22,518' of climb • 21,576' of descent • Maximum Elevation 9060' • Minimum Elevation 4860'• Average Elevation 7350' NOTE: ALTHOUGH THE WEBSITE SHOWS ME AS A DNF, I DID COMPLETE THE RACE WITHIN THE TIME LIMIT AND DID RECEIVE A BELT BUCKLE AND PLAQUE AND I WAS PART OF THE AWARD CEREMONY. I'M TRYING TO GET THE WEB RESULTS CORRECTED.

I'm not going to bore you with details about each mile. As usual, I'll split all this up so you can pick and choose what to read, pictures at the end.

COURSE & RACE: The course was beautiful! It went from Logan, Utah to Fish Haven Idaho. There were maples turning red and aspens in oranges and yellows, GORGEOUS!! The race was low key and well run. The weather was incredible. Warm during the day and cold at night. The sky was blue with few clouds and at night, the stars were great. The HAM radio operators were GREAT and kept an eye on me (because of my Addison's) at each aid station.

MANY THANKS: I feel incredibly fortunate to have the opportunity to complete this goal. Many thanks to my husband Paul who has supported me in my last couple of years of insanity and paced me for 35 miles in this race. Thanks to all my Addison's friends (especially my Addison's Mentor, Wanda) who have been my cheering section and inspiration. Thanks to my physician, Chad Horracks who has not discouraged me from doing these things despite the Addison's and has helped me to get where I have gotten physically. Thanks to Joanne L. for making me ride mountain bikes on Wednesdays, I hope she's getting the ultra bug too. Thanks to all the runners that I've run with in the last couple of years during races and in training. I've gotten so much encouragement, advice and friendship, I could not have done it without you! Also, thanks to Colleen Woods who, 2+ years ago said so matter of factly, "Sure, you can do it!" It's all her fault I've decided to go from doing a half marathon to an Ironman distance triathlon, to a 50 mile race to a 100. :)

HOW I FELT: I felt great for the first 50+ miles and then my stomach fell apart from 50+ to about 80. I threw up once but recovered eventually. At mile 85, I got a piece of bacon from a volunteer. Best bacon I ever had! Settled my stomach!! I have trouble staying awake through the night and slept on a cot by the fire for an hour, on the side of the trail on a sagebrush (super attractive!) for 15 minutes and at the "Hilton", a tent with a sleeping bag and ground pad, for an hour. The last 15 miles, my feet hurt and I was close to the cutoff so I was nervous and afraid I wasn't going to make the 36 hour cutoff.

ADDISON'S ADJUSTMENTS: I upped my meds for three days prior. I took 5 - 10 mg of hydrocortisone and hour during the race. What I discovered was that 5 mg/hour is NOT enough for me for a 36 hour sustained effort for me (your results may vary!). I think 10 mg/hour would have been more appropriate. When I was really nauseous, I took 20 mg and 15 mg of HC and an extra .1 florinef. I forgot to take the florinef mid day as I had planned and I think it contributed to the nausea. oops.

FUN: It was so much fun to see the same people I've been seeing at races for the last couple of years. They all did great and, needless to say, they all beat me.

WILL I DO IT AGAIN: Umm. No? Is that the right answer? Saturday and Sunday I was convinced I would never do it again but today, Monday, I'm not so convinced, it wasn't that bad...I'm not really too sore. My calves hurt Saturday and Sunday. I do want to do Barkley...

Let's see how the inevitable migraine is. I've had two post event in the last two years that have put me in the emergency room for fluids and morphine. Let's hope I don't get one at all and, if I do, it's not proportionally worse than the ones I get from doing 50 milers. Keep your fingers crossed for me please. Migraines might be the determining factor.

The night before the race, getting ready.

The race start, video at the bottom.

The course was gorgeous and this picture doesn't do it justice!

Neil, Cindy and Megan going up the steep hill. Look at where the trail goes! Steeper than it looks in this picture.

Me, in pink, coming into the aid station below. I was feeling pretty good at this point!

This is what an aid station looks like. Karl Meltzer was working in it. In how many sports do the best of the best volunteer for people like me, Lantern Rouge?

Me looking rough, feeling rough. Loving the sign.

Wondering where the hell the &%$#@ finish line is!

So happy to finish I'm doing a cartwheel.

Did it, 100 mile virgin no more!

Race start video. 6 am, Logan, UT. Friday, September 25, 2009


Anonymous said...

Dusty, I am speechless. Wow. Way to go. Congratulations. You really inspire me. Just when I think I can't because of Addisons or whatever else it might be at the moment I will think of you and your 100.
Kristen R

Pip said...

Yay. Yay. Yay. Yay. Yay!!!!!!!

I was almost too scared to click on your post from Google Reader! I'm so happy for you!

BTW: H and I are planning a world trip for September/October 2011. Fancy a nice trail run some time around then? :)

PuddleThumper said...

I obsessively checked that tracking sheet. Congratulations on putting that 100 miler demon to rest. Amazing!

Lora said...

I was checking the tracking sheet too. It never showed your finish time--got me sooo nervous!

So mucho CONGRATS on getting your buckle! It's beautiful and I know you will cherish it.

Recover well. I'm so darn proud of you!

Linda said...

I am impressed on so many different levels! Your legs and hands don't even look too swollen. You can walk and you are doing well (lucid, even!). You rock.

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Dusty. I can't even imagine. The pictures are great, looks like you had wonderful weather. You certainly show how to stick to a run!
Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

WHOOOPPPPEEE Dusty-I am so happy for you! Congratulations on a HUGE, HUGE accomplishment!! You have shown what determination and hard work can do, mixed in with some very good attitude. I love that you still take photos along the way, look and notice the beauty of the courses and make lots of friends wherever you race. A special congrats for the Lantern Rouge Award. It is easier to keep going when you are in the lead- much more difficult when you are behind. That is a very special testament to the kind of person you are. It is impressive and we are so proud of you.Savor this VICTORY for the next several weeks-you have really earned it!



Ryan said...

Sweet success - Congratulations! Hope the recovery is going very well. Enjoy the victory.

Unknown said...

Thanks to all of you for supporting me in various ways and through your comments!