Blog changes

Thanks to everyone who followed Training Because I Can! over the last nine years. This blog started with Addison's Disease, hypothyroidism and a crazy idea of doing an Ironman distance triathlon. My life has changed and so has this blog. I am using this blog strictly for Addison's Support topics from here on out. I hope to continue providing people with hints for living life well with adrenal insufficiency.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Post MdS observations and roadside treasures

Top of Pine Creek Pass.  5 feet of snow left at 6,700 feet.  That's where all the trails are, under 5+ feet of snow.
I've been highly unmotivated since I got home last Tuesday night.  Highly unmotivated.  I've kept my mile a day streak alive...barely.  In the last week, it's been hard to even do that mile a day.  

So I was talking to Ashley the other day, listing all of my post-MdS complaints basically, and sounding like a total whiner.  The next morning, I woke up and felt stupid.  I needed to up my hydrocortisone and did not.  I paid the price.  I sat around in lethargy for seven wasted days.  Yesterday I did 20 mg HC extra, today 10 mg extra HC.  I feel annoyed with myself for wasting time, that's a much better feeling than not giving a crap!!!

Since I've gotten back from MdS, it's all I can think about.  The friendships, camels, helicopters, sleeping outside (in a tent that I didn't have to set up!), the running day after day, the heat and the laughing.  So much laughing.  Laughing is good for the soul.  I needed to laugh.  Every time I think of ever going back and doing it again, I get butterflies in my stomach.  I will need to work on getting back there at some point in the future and doing much better!

An article in the local paper.

Racing through the desert



I am so touched by all who have supported me, sent me good vibes, emails, presents and have listened to me go on and on and on about what an amazing time I had.  Thanks to all of you.  Your emails brought tears to my eyes when I was in the Sahara.  I never knew I had so much support and that so many people loved me, even people who have never met me.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Yesterday, after replacing my hydrocortisone adequately, I was ready for a run.  I choose Pine Creek Pass.  Lots of elevation gain and loss in preparation for my next race, Pocatello 50.  Pocatello 50 is actually 52  miles with 13,700 feet of elevation gain.  I'll be doing a lot of hills for the next month or until the end of the summer, I guess.  I got into Wasatch 100, it's got some hills in it too.  Good thing I like going down hills, it makes going up worth it.

From Pine Creek Pass.  Lots of loose rock.  I was picking small boulders up off the road and trying to stay away from the sides that look like this.  

Here are some of the treasures I found yesterday.




How appropriate!


2 comments:

CrowtoCrone said...

I love the treasures. That's one of my favorite parts of long distance (I walk not run). I then title each walk based on the treasure or sometimes some other aspect will catch my fancy. A sunset, coyote, other runners or walkers...Thanks for posting.

Unknown said...

Crow,

I walk too, A LOT!

Do you find that there's less money on the road now than a few years ago?

I miss finding money.

:) Dusty