Blog changes

Thanks to everyone who followed Training Because I Can! over the last nine years. This blog started with Addison's Disease, hypothyroidism and a crazy idea of doing an Ironman distance triathlon. My life has changed and so has this blog. I am using this blog strictly for Addison's Support topics from here on out. I hope to continue providing people with hints for living life well with adrenal insufficiency.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

MEDICATIONS

I've had lots of questions from Addisonian's about how I adjusted my meds for training and the race. I'm going to put my training & race protocol here (I'm cutting and pasting from emails if this looks redundant to anyone!).

Keep in mind, I am not a doctor. Consult your own doctor about increasing exercising or changing the way you take your medications. I actually DID talk to my doctor about my meds. Hard to believe but true.
I ALWAYS DIVIDE MY DOSES OF HC. 10 mg at 6 am, 10 mg at 11 am and 5 mg at 2-3 pm. This works best for me, it might not work best for you.
Pre-Training: 20 mg hydrocortisone (HC), 12.5 mg DHEA and .05 mcg Florinef (Summer) .025 mcg Florinef (Winter)
  • I determined that I needed more HC while training by listening to my body. When my workouts intensified and I felt consistently achy, exhausted and generally bad, I increased my HC to 25 mg. I would have increased to 22.5 but Westward HC is too difficult to split into eighths (thanks Westward! *insert sarcasm here*)
Training: 25 mg HC, 12.5 mg DHEA, .05 mcg Florinef
  • I only increased my HC if I had the symptoms above OR if I was exercising for longer than a couple of hours. I increased by about 5 mg for 2 extra hours of exercise. Often, I'd schedule my workouts with my meds so that I didn't need extra and I would split my doses further to cover my exercise. For example, I take 10 mg of HC at 11 am generally but during a longish workout I might take 5 mg of HC at 10 am, 5 mg of HC at 11:30 am and 5 mg at 1 pm and see how tired I was later in the day and THEN take more HC.
2 days prior to race: 30 mg HC, 18 mg DHEA, .1 Florinef, extra salt
Race day:
10 mg HC, .1 mcg Florinef and 12.5 mg DHEA at 4:30 am
5 mg at 6:45 am (right before the race start)
2.5 at 9 am
2.5 at 10 am
10 mg at 11 am
2.5 at 12 am
2.5 at 1 pm
5 mg at 2 pm
5 mg at 3 pm
That adds up to 50 mg but I might have taken more at some point!!
Most importantly for me, I used the PowerBar Gel with 200 mg sodium. I ate one of them nearly every hour. FYI I'm not sponsored by PowerBar . This is what works for me so I am sharing the information. PowerBar Gel has a much higher sodium to potassium ratio than any other product I've found. Generally, the potassium content is higher than I am comfortable with in other products. People with Addison's disease need to be careful not to over supplement Potassium.
2 days post race: 30 mg HC, 12.5 mg DHEA, .05 Florinef
Post a Comment